Sunday, November 17, 2013

30 Day Gratitude Project - Day 22

Today I am grateful for...


Today you get a picture instead of a boring old word! Aren't I nice to you?
I know quite a few poems by heart. My two favorites are "Little Orphant Annie" by James Whitecomb Riley, and "Jabberwocky" by Louis Carrol. 

Poetry is very interesting. (Technically, so is all types of writing...) The quality of the work completely depends on the author's taste. What the author wants in the poem. Helpful criticism is, as implied, very helpful, but what it comes down to is what the author has inside his/her brain. 

Take a look at the differences between even the first lines of the poems I stated. Little Orphant Annie says, 
"Little Orphant Annie's come to our house to stay,


An' wash the cups an' saucers up, an' brush the crumbs away,
An' shoo the chickens off the porch, an' dust the hearth, an' sweep,
An' make the fire, an' bake the bread, an' earn her board-an'-keep;"

Jabberwocky, on the other hand, states: 
"'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves 
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe; 
All mimsy were the borogoves,    
And the mome raths outgrabe."

Are either of these poems necessarily bad? Or bad writing? Jabberwocky might be a bit hard to understand, but that is the author's basic point, anyway. Little Orphant Annie has a different style. It's almost bad grammar. I suppose the correct word her is slang. This is what the author wanted; to show everyone that Annie is...well, an orphan with no real upbringing.

Well. That's just my opinion on poetry.

Have a smiley day!

No comments:

Post a Comment