Saturday, August 31, 2019

Lucky Lucky Lucky

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to spend two weeks nannying three cute kiddos under the age of 6.
Image result for nanny old fashioned
I definitely was not as classy as this nanny. I wish I could be.

It was hard work, but also really fun. Kids are just fun.

For example, take this exchange I had with one of them:
5 y/o *pointing at a bag of cough drops*: "Can I have one of those? Please? Pleeeaaasse??"
Me: "Those are for when you're sick. Don't you think we should save them for when you feel sick?"
5: "Um, well," *coughs loudly* "I AM sick. Can I have one now?"

It was fun.

But one thing I noticed was how excited the kids were for everything. I mean everything - apple juice, books, trips to the park, trips to the backyard, gluing things, baking things, lunchtime, storytime, music, bubbles, popcorn, legos, pictures of ponies, baths, coloring pages, driving past semi-trucks - everything was a novelty and everything made them as excited as if I had said "Okay kids, we're going to have a party tonight!"

Image result for excited clipart

I mean that quite literally, too. I once told them we would have a party and they were no more excited than when I had told them earlier in the day that they could have macaroni and cheese for lunch.

But one thing, in particular, I've been thinking about. Whenever anything went right, the kids would say, "Wow! We're such lucky kids!"

Once I found a pink cup in the dishwasher for one of them. Immediately, one said to the other, "Wow!! You're a lucky kid!"

Another time I told them two stories before bed, and they were excited that they were so lucky to hear so many stories.

Then there were times where I said it was time to pick up their toys, and they just said, "We're so lucky! We have you to help us!" (Naturally, this meant "you, babysitter, are going to do most of the work," but I appreciated the sentiment.)

Image result for four leaf clover

I like the idea that everything can be lucky. It's like Pollyanna's Glad Game. If we just see things as being lucky, or glad, even when we have to do hard things (like pick up toys), I think life will be nicer. I think I'd be happier. I would definitely smile more.

So take the advice of 3 little kids, and see how lucky you are!

Have a Smiley Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment