Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Some Books To Read

I really love books. I love books a lot. My life is books. Books make me happy. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. Did I mention that I really love books?

I have compiled a list of a few books that are really good. Really. Really good. Reading them is possibly one of the best things you could do with your life ever.


  • The Mysterious Benedict Society Trilogy by Trenton Lee Stewart
This book. It's just. Yeah. Let me explain. It's based in 2007, but it feels (the writing feels...I don't know how to explain it) like an E. Nesbit book's era. The jokes in it are superb. The characters come out of the book and are with you. Wait, no, you are the characters. There are questions that just make you want to bring out a pencil and solve them yourself. Although it is long (and could easily be abridged), it flies past and you can't wait to read the next book in the trilogy.
4 3/4 stars, 10 and up

Image result for Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
  • Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
This book is so so sad. I wanted to curl up into a ball and cry when I read it. It makes you rethink your existence. Although it's so sad, it makes you feel happy...in a way...it's like a bittersweet book. No, soursweet, with a lot of sour, and just enough sweet to not make you tear apart the book in utter and complete dismay. Crying while reading this book is not only probable, I guarantee you it will happen. Please just read it. There is no possible way to explain how much you will grow and learn. You really will never be ready for it until after you read it. The language was really hard for me to understand - they say 'dat' instead of 'that' and other slang that hurt my head. Also the length of the book is really long. But other than that, the book is just glorious.
4 3/4 stars, 12 and up


Image result for Mr Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater
  • Mr Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater
This book is a wonderful read-aloud. The time, setting, integrity of Mr. Popper, Mrs. Popper, their children, the penguins. It creates a story that just paints a picture in your mind. D'you know what is fun? I said this story is a wonderful read-aloud. It would also be a wonderful act-out! The ending is a bit sad, but not really. In fact, you want the ending to happen, you just want the ending to happen in a different way.
3 1/2 stars, 5 and up



Image result for A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park
  • A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park
I like this book because it shows true loyalty and how to be loyal to two people at once. The main character has a sense of dignity even though he is not one of the higher-class members of society. He chose his dignity, that's what I like. It's really sad at the ending. However, the main character finds a way to cope with the sadness. This story is long but beautiful.
3 1/2 stars, 8 and up


Image result for Emily's Runaway Imagination by Beverly Cleary
  • Emily's Runaway Imagination by Beverly Cleary
When I picked up this book, I was expecting Emily to have a runaway imagination - a bit like Wendy or John or Michael or even Peter Pan himself from Peter Pan. Instead, I got a girl who was very level-headed. I mean, she had imagination, don't get me wrong! But it came in great big globs. In other words, she didn't have a runaway imagination, she had a "every now any then" imagination. The way it was written was good, but the way that Emily acts is confusing. She has the knowledge of maybe a five-year-old, but she has the agility and actions of a nine-year-old. Really, really confusing.
2 stars, 5 and up



Image result for The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
  • The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Though slightly confusing, this book is a must-read. It illustrates love, treasure, and dreams. Dreams and action. It shows that even though some things don't last forever, the best things do. This book has many morals and truths, but can be confusing to some. Personally, I loved all the dreams and adventures that happen in it, but it's not for everyone. 
4 stars, 10 and up



Image result for Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. Eastman\
  • Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. Eastman
This book is so good. It's a kid's book, has no plotline, makes no real sense, but is really one of the best books ever. It's so colorful and pretty and amazing and wonderful. And the "Do you like my hat?" scenes are just so amazing. When I was little, I would ask people, "do you like my hat" and if they said "no, I do not like your hat" then I would get really excited. But I wouldn't show it, I would just say, "goodbye" and they would have to say "goodbye" because the book characters say that. This book is so literally amazing. It's the most perfectest book ever.
5 stars, 0 and up


So there you are.

Have a smiley day!

No comments:

Post a Comment